Wood paddles, oars and blades need a little TLC and maintenance for best performance and longevity. The Sawyer Spar Varnish Kit has all the necessities for refinishing your wooden beauties including: (1) pint or quart Sawyer Spar Varnish, (1) 2"" varnish brush, (1) 80 grit sanding disc, (1) 120 grit sanding disc, (1) 320 grit sanding disc and (1) buffing pad.
- Make sure the paddle, oar or blade are completely dry before attempting to varnish. All varnishing should be done in a well-ventilated area.
- For older paddles and oars with chips in varnish (for minor refinishing skip to step 4)
Sand down chipped areas and damaged spots with 80 grit sanding disc, removing all loose varnish and wood oxidation.
- Smooth out with 120 grit sanding disc.
- Rough up all surfaces with 320 grit sanding disc and apply the first coat of spar varnish.
- Let cure for 12 hours at 65°F or warmer.
- Once cured, buff the entire surface with a buffing pad.
- Apply a second coat of spar varnish.
- Let cure at least 12 hours at 65°F or warmer before use.
For questions on refinishing, please call 541-535-3606.